Register of Deeds
Real Estate Records: In order for real estate transactions to be binding upon all parties, certain documents must be recorded. These documents include, but are not limited to Deeds; Mortgages; Satisfactions; Certified Survey Maps; Condominium & Subdivision Maps along with the Declarations which affect such maps. Real estate records which are recorded in the Register of Deeds office are a matter of public record & can be viewed in our office by anyone during regular business hours, or via the internet (see "Most Requested Links" on this page).
Vital Records: Birth, Death, Marriage & Declaration of Domestic Partnership Applications are filed with our office, as long as the event itself took place in Washington County, Wisconsin. Vital record Indexes are only available for viewing in our office during regular business hours (some restrictions apply-please call for further information).
Military Discharges: These are also recorded with our office and certified copies may be obtained from our office after they have been recorded. Military Discharges are not available for public viewing at any time.
Genealogical & historical real estate records are available
back to the mid-1800's.
Documents received between 8am-4pm are recorded
the same day they are received.
Original documents that have been recorded
are returned in three business days.
- Vital records such as Birth, Death, Marriage and Declaration of Domestic Partnership certificates are filed in our office as long as the event took place in Washington County, Wisconsin.
Genealogy and historical records are available back until the mid-1800's.
To contact our office with a question pertaining to a specific Birth, Death, Marriage or Declaration of Domestic Partnership record that is on file with our office, please call (262)335-4321 or send an e-mail to our Vital Records Clerk.
Click here to e-mail to our Vital Records Clerk E-Mail Vital Records Clerk.
To obtain a certified copy of a Birth, Death, Marriage or Declaration of Domestic Partnership record, please contact the Register of Deeds in the county where the event took place.
Wisconsin State Statute 69 directs that certified copies can only be issued to persons with "Direct and Tangible Interest" in the record. Your relationship to the person named in the record must be one of the following:
- The person named on the record.
- The parent of the person named on the record
- The legal custodian or guardian of the person named in the record.
- A member of the immediate family (spouse, child, brother, sister or grandparent)
- An agent representing the person named in the record.
**CLICK HERE TO ORDER VITAL RECORDS VIA INTERNET**
For your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that Washington County Register of Deeds has partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through their website. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2012
The following NEW recording fees apply to Washington County
pursuant to Wis. Stats. s. 59.43(2)(ag)1 & 59.43(2)(e) & 59.72(5).
All documents received for recording in our office MUST be accompanied with the correct fees.
- All documents are $25, regardless of the number of pages. This includes, but is not limited to: Termination of Joint Tenancy; Transfer on Death to Beneficiary; Change of Name & Registration of Firm Name
- All Subdivision and Condominium plats are $50.
- All Transportation Project Plats are $25 per plat.
- Federal Tax Liens are $25.
- WI Department of Safety & Professional Services Rental Weatherization validation - $20 processing fee paid to Washington County Register of Deeds.
- Copies of recorded documents are $2 for first page; $1 for each additional page per document. Add $1 for certification if required.
See "Most Requested Links: Wis Register of Deeds Assoc (WRDA)" and/or
"Documents: 2012 Statewide Recording Fees" for additional information regarding STATEWIDE recording fees & requirements.
PO Box 1986
West Bend, WI 53095-7986
8:00 am - 4:30 pm