Human Services Department

Washington County Human Services Department will, with dignity and respect, offer responsive and effective community programs to individuals and families challenged by disability, economic hardship and safety concerns.  Our commitment is to help facilitate self-sufficiency for those we serve and enhance the quality of life in our community.

Through our three divisions of Behavioral Health, Children and Families and Economic Support, the dedicated staff of the Human Services department strives to support individuals and families as they achieve self-sufficiency and social well being.

Maureen Murphy, Director

Eric Diamond, Deputy Director

For more information call  (262) 335-4583

To review the Human Services Department's Privacy Practices, click this link.


A unit of the Behavioral Health Services division, Acute Care Services is a State-certified 24/7/365 Emergency Mental Health Services Program that partners with the community to empower individuals and families during a crisis.  Primary focus on client-centered, least-restrictive crisis intervention and treatment.  Services provided without regard for ability to pay.

For more information, contact Deb DuFour, Program Manager
at (262) 335-4583 or by email at

CRISIS LINE      (262) 365-6565
TOLL FREE       1(866)906-6565

Acute Care "Crisis"

Serves as an INITIAL POINT of contact for emergency mental health and substance abuse needs, crisis intervention, suicide risk assessment and safety planning, parent/child conflicts and other behavioral health emergencies.

Strives to address the IMMEDIATE SAFETY CONCERNS facing those struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues.

Will assess INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY NEEDS including counseling, parenting, mental health, alcohol/drugs, grief issues, inpatient or detoxification from alcohol, parent/child conflicts and family issues.

Help individuals and families DEVELOP PLANS OF ACTION that promote problem-solving and positive choices, including assessment, safety planning, short-term case management, treatment referrals and follow-up services.

PROVIDE COMMUNITY EDUCATION AND OUTREACH to promote an increased understanding of the Washington County Human Services Department.

Services include:

  • Telephone crisis counseling, intervention and stabilization
  • Mobile face-to-face intervention whenever possible
  • Treatment Information, Referral and Facilitation
  • Mental Health assessment
  • Suicide Risk Assessment and Safety Planning
  • Crisis Prevention Planning
  • Grief Counseling
  • Parent/child Issues
  • Walk-in services available
  • Follow-up services
  • After-hours Adult Protective Services assistance
  • Least restrictive treatment without regard for ability to pay

 CRISIS LINE      (262) 365-6565
TOLL FREE       1(866) 906-6565

Additional services available to the community include:

  • Critical Incident Stress Management Debriefing;
  • Educational Presentations;
  • safeTALK - Suicide Awareness for Everyone;
  • Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training – ASIST


(262) 365-6565


9 - 1 - 1

To learn more about suicide prevention in Wisconsin go to

 prevent suicide

                            W I S C O N S I N
P A R T N E R I N G  T O  S A V E  L I V E S  I N  O U R  S T A T E

            For 24/7 crisis help you may also call the

                     1-800-273-TALK (8255)



Please do not use use CRISIS CHAT during an emergency. 

Live chat by SightMax
More comfortable "chatting" about your feelings?  Find it easier to "chat" than talk on the phone?  Use crisis "chat" to  discuss your feelings, get suggestions, or share what has been helpful with a trained crisis counselor.  Click the link above to "chat" with a crisis counselor in real time.  Crisis "chat" should be used for non-life threatening situations.


If you are experiencing a suicidal or life-threatening crisis, PLEASE CALL (262) 365-6565 OR   9 - 1 - 1 rather than using the "chat" feature.

If you are in need of housing or shelter resources, contact the

Homeless Partnership Includes:

Family Promise of Washington County                                                        
(262) 353-9304

Friends of Abused Families

(262) 334-4912

The Youth & Family Project

(262) 338-1661

Washington County Human Services

(262) 365-6565

Salvation Army
(262) 335-4610

St. Vincent DePaul

   West Bend  (262) 334-7291
   Hartford      (262) 673-6980
   Slinger        (262) 644-4949                   

Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Group
4th Tuesday of every month

                    6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. 
The Public Agency Center (PAC)

               Call (262) 365-6565 for more information

Manager      Eric Diamond       (262) 335-4583


Mental health and substance abuse issues affect both children and adults and can interfere with health, family, work and/or education.  Often recognized as depression, anxiety, disruptions in mood or behaviors that are unusual, individuals and families struggle to cope.  Such problems can range from mild to persistent with a biological basis. Mental Health and Substance abuse issues are treatable!  Our Behavioral Health professionals are trained to provide effective prevention, early intervention and treatment services to assit individuals and their families along the road to recovery.
Services include:


A State-certified 24/7 Emergency Mental Health Services Program that partners with the community to empower individuals and families during a crisis. 

For more information, see the ACUTE CARE SERVICES - CRISIS INTERVENTION TEAM tab on this website or contact Deb DuFour, Acute Care Services Program Manager by calling (262)335-4583 or at

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call
(262) 365-6565


Lifespan Clinical Services is a State certified outpatient treatment program.  Clinicians empower clients to improve the quality of their lives through encouraging them to make changes where necessary, take personal responsibility, maximize independence, and strengthen interpersonal and family relationships.  The therapy setting provides privacy, safety, and acceptance to promote and enhance the individual's feeling of dignity and self-respect.  Services include:


  • Assessment
  • Individual, Family and Group Psychotherapy
  • Court Ordered Psychological Evaluation
  • Medication Assistance Program
  • Psychiatry
  • In-Home Therapy and Case Management Services
  • Critical Incident Response Services

For more information or to schedule an appointment
call  (262) 335-4545


CTS is a community based program that provides treatment and education to assist individuals with issues relating to severe and persistent mental illness.  Our mental health specialists will work with you to help you achieve your personal recovery goals, offering choices to the fullest extent possible.  We recognize that each person is unique and focus our efforts to meet your needs, creating an individualized recovery oriented program that promotes improvement, recovery, quality of life and dignity.  Services include:


  • Community Support Program
  • Comprehensive Community Services
  • Targeted Case Management
  • Outpatient Therapy
  • Psychiatry
  • Medication Management
  • Nursing Support
  • Group Therapy

For more information or to schedule an appointment
call  (262) 335-4600


   Education to increase awareness and reduce
   risky behavior and promote positivelifestyle choices.


   Outpatient assessment and treatment, intensive
   outpatient, case management and residential
   treatment services.

   Engaging with other for sharing, helping and support.

   In-school support for children challenged by emotional
   and mental health issues.

   Supportive living services to promote successful
   independent living. 

   Supported employment services.


   Inpatient mental health and alcohol detoxification
   services available.

If you are in crisis and need emergency mental health or alcohol detoxification services, 24 hours per day call (262) 365 - 6565

For more information regarding Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse education, family support, community prevention efforts and Driver Safety Plans contact ELEVATE at (262)677-2216

Manager     Sandy Hoefert      (262) 335 - 4610

Strengthening Families, Protecting Children and Enhancing Our Community


The services of the Children and Families division support and enhance safe, responsible family functioning and the protection of children and our community.  We help families to identify unsafe/risky behaviors and overcome struggles that limit ability to properly care for their children, including those challenged by disabilities.  Our juvenile supervision services hold young people accountable for their behavior and assist them in developing the skills and abilities necessary to lead a safe productive life.



Assistance is provided through:


  • Child Abuse and Neglect Services - Supervision, safety, case management, counseling, out-of-home placement

    The Department has statutory responsibility for investigating situations where it is suspected that children have been physically, sexually or emotionally abused or neglected. Safety intervention services are provided to the child while family assessment and services are initiated. While providing protection for the children, the focus is on assisting the family to successfully manage stressful situations and enhance their ability to function as a responsible, nurturing unit. Coordination with mental health services, parent education programs, law enforcement, schools, and substance abuse programs is important to ensure the needs of the children and parents are met.

    Services may include: 
          -Investigation & Assessment for Physical, Sexual or Emotional Abuse or  Neglect Situations
          -Safety Services & Plans
          -Family Based Counseling
          -Parenting Skills Training
          -Supervision & Case Management
          -Out of Home Placement

    To report possible child abuse or neglect situations call Family Intake at (262)335-4888.

    Prevent Child Abuse Wisconsin
    Child Welfare Information
    Kinship Care

  • Juvenile Justice Services - Supervision, restitution, community service, out-of-home placement

          The primary goal of Juvenile Justice Services is to prevent or reduce uncontrollable and/or delinquent behavior.  In addition to redirecting the juvenile's behavior, attention and intervention efforts are given to strengthen parental control and functioning.  The balanced approach of juvenile justice addresses community protection, youth accountability and the development of youth's and parents' competencies.  Services are court ordered and frequently utilize collateral resources.  Close coordination with law enforcement, schools, Court System, District Attorney's Office, and other counseling service agencies are maintained

    Family Court
    Legal custody and physical placement studies

  • Foster Care Services - Recruits, licenses and trains foster parents and ensures a safe, suitable foster or adult family home when needed

         Foster care is a temporary alternative to a child's natural home when that home becomes socially, emotionally or physically inadequate for the child's needs. Foster children range in age from infant to 18. All foster children have unique backgrounds, experiences, personalities, strengths and weaknesses. Some may require extensive care for physical or emotional handicaps or disabilities. Many foster children have been victims of physical or sexual abuse, some have suffered neglect and some children and infants require medical care. Here are some basic questions answered about foster parenting:

    -The basic requirements to be a foster parent are that you must 21 years of age or older and a responsible, mature individual. You, your family and a social worker will meet several times to discuss foster parenting and your background.

    -Foster parents receive money for the room, board and other living expenses from the placement agency. There are also supplemental payments for the care of children with special needs.

    -Foster children are covered by Title XIX (medical assistance) or the insurance of their parents.

    -Usually the children will have visits with their parents. Your social worker will help schedule the visits and make travel arrangements. You can take a foster child on vacation, however you must get prior approval from the supervising agency.

    -Most foster children are not available for adoption. If a child does become adoptable, the foster family may apply.

    -There are certain sleeping arrangements for a foster child. Children over one year old may not share a bedroom with an adult. Children over six years old may not share a bedroom with a child of the opposite sex and each foster child must have his or her own bed.

    -Placement Services

    Any other questions call Christine at (262)335-4675

    Long-term Support Services
    For children age birth to three, families and those with children with intensive care needs

    Child Care Certification
    - Certification of day care providers for care of children whose parents are working and are eligible for day care subsidy or day care as part of a protective service plan.

          Call Human Services at (262)335-4687 for
             more information regarding:
            -Information About Certification
            -Certification Assessment
            -Home Visits
            -Criminal Background Checks
                Community Coordinated Child Care (4 C's)

For more information on any
of the programs please call (262)335-4610.



Manager     Sandy Potter       (262)335-4610

Providing Help to Make It Through Challenging Times

Limited incomes and unexpected financial problems can make it difficult to provide a healthy, safe environment for individuals and their families.  Our Economic Support division, through the Moraine Lakes Consortium, offers financial assistance programs to help financially troubled residents of Washington County to sustain or improve their quality of life.  Our experienced staff will work with you, guiding you through the process to ensure best results.




BadgerCare Plus

Go to or contact Moraine Lakes Call Center at 1-888-446-1239 to apply.

BadgerCare Plus
Apply for BadgerCare Plus

      **There are some changes coming to Healthcare beginning January 1, 2014.  BadgerCare income limits are changing and some individuals will have to get their Healthcare through the Federal MarketPlace.  Click on the links below for more information on the Affordable Healthcare Act or to apply for coverage.

          Information on the Affordable Care Act :

              To apply through the Federal MarketPlace: 
or 1-800-318-2596


Child Care Assistance 
Help is available for low income families who need child care for employment. Families must meet financial guidelines to be eligible. The childcare provider must be a licensed group or family center or be a certified provider. Parents pay part of the cost of day care based on family size, the number of children in day care, the type of provider used and family gross income. Payments are made directly to the day care provider through a state payment system.

Go to or call 1-888-446-1239 to apply. 

 Choosing Child Care

Energy Assistance

Assists low income families and individuals to pay heating bills during the heating season, October 1 through May 15

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) helps eligible households pay for heating costs. Eligibility is determined by the total gross income received three months prior to application, the number of persons in the household, and heating costs. Emergency services may also be available year round.  Emergency services may include purchasing heating fuel or services, providing a warm place to stay, or providing help with furnace repair or replacement. Proactive services are available on a year-round basis to provide help in budgeting for energy expenses and information on how to reduce heating costs. Weatherization services may also be available to qualified households.

To get an application or make an appointment call Client Registration at (262)335-4677.

More Energy Assistance Information


Food Share is issued monthly to eligible persons to purchase edible items. The food share household must pass both non-financial and financial eligibility tests in order to receive food share. Eligibility is based on household size, income, shelter and child care expenses, and also, for elderly and disabled persons, medical expenses. Food Share is issued through an EBT card (like a debit/credit card) called a Quest Card.

Go to or call 1-888-446-1239 to apply.

ACCESS Application to apply online
Printable Food Share Application
Check your benefits or report a change in your case
Frequently asked questions
FoodShare Eligibility



Medical Assistance (T-19) for elderly, blind or disabled individuals including nursing home and family care. Potentially eligible income adults include persons 65 or older, blind or disabled, persons residing in institutions or nursing homes or SSI recipients. The Medical Assistance Program pays for medical care for
         eligible people.  Eligibility is based on your family's gross
         (before taxes) income.  There is an asset limit for some    
         Medical Assistance Programs.  Eligible recipients receive an 
         EBT card called a Forward Card (like a debit/credit card) 
         which is used to pay for all necessary medical expenses.  
         Some services require co-payment. If you are under- 
         insured and/or don't have health coverage you may be 
         eligible for Medical Assistance.

          Go to or call 1-888-446-1239 to apply.

                       Aging and Disability Resource Center          
Wisconsin Medicaid Providers
 Family Care


    Wisconsin Works (W-2)
      The primary purpose of Wisconsin Works (W-2) is to prepare eligible    parents, who are not job ready to help them provide for their families and become self sufficient members of the community in which they live. Participants receive wages from employment or a monthly payment for performing assigned work activities. Participants may also receive assistance in paying for childcare, transportation and other employment related needs. Cooperation with the Child Support Agency is a requirement of the W-2 program. Families must pass an income and asset test. 

         Call ResCare Workforce Solutions at (262) 335-5310 to apply or to receive more information.