Promote Health • Prevent Disease • Protect the Public
Clean Sweep Pharmaceutical Collection is May 11th
Raw Milk Information from the CDC
Now is the Time to Test Private Wells for Nitrates and Bacteria
Flood Readiness and Recovery
CRE: The nightmare bacteria
Test For Radon With A Free Kit
FINDING BALANCE in your lifestyle to reach and maintain a healthy weight - CDC TV
The Obesity Epidemic CDC-TV
Annual County Health Rankings - See how Washington County compares with any county in the U.S. on a common set of metrics, and how we rank with other counties in Wisconsin.
• MORE current topics...
|Disease Information for the Public||Health Care Provider Resources|
|Immunizations||Preparing for Disasters and Pandemics|
|School and Child Care Resources||Pertussis Information|
|West Nile Virus||Wisconsin County Environmental Health Profiles|
|For additional information on environmental health issues, call the Washington County Health Department at 262-335-4462 or go to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services website, http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/data/topicalaf.asp#e , and click on Topics A-Z.|
Reaching the Health Department
- We are located in the Washington County Public Agency Center. [Directions] See contact information on the right side of this page.
- For emergencies outside of regular hours, call 262-335-4462 and follow menu instructions. We are closed Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
- General fax: 262-335-4463. Confidential fax, monitored during regular hours only: 262-335-4705.
By Appointment only
These services require appointments to assure the right person will be available to help you. Appointments are normally scheduled between 9:00-11:00 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m.
- Badger Care temporary insurance for eligible women (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
- Car seat checks: generally on Thursdays only (call for appointment); no charge
- Free immunizations for eligible children up to their 19th birthday; call for an appointment
- Pregnancy testing: Monday, Wednesday, Friday); no charge
- WIC services: call for appointment time
- Wisconsin Well Woman cancer screening
No appointment is necessary for these services, between 9:00-11:00 and 1:00-3:30. Occasionally you may need to wait longer to be seen without an appointment.
- Head lice checks: no charge
- Tuberculosis Skin Testing: Mondays and Tuesdays only; $15.00 per test. A return visit is required 48-72 hours later for the test to be valid.
We can help with these items any time the Health Department is open (Mon-Fri, 8:00 - 4:30)
- Radon test kits (supply is limited)
- Licensed facility applications or complaint forms --for restaurants, campgrounds, lodging or tattoo establishments
The Washington County Health Department does not perform inspections for mold, nor do we handle landlord-tenant disputes.
|Health Department Information and Reports|
Health Department Governance
Director and Health Officer: Linda Walter
Assistant Director: Joni Whitehouse
Governing Liaison Committee: Washington County Board of Health
The Washington County Board of Health and Health Officer responsibilities are specified in Wisconsin Public Health Statutes 250 through 254, Department of Health Services Administrative Code and Washington County Code 6.04.The Washington County Health department is a Level II health department. Chapter 251 of Wisconsin Statutes designates the requirements for three levels of health departments. Level I health departments are responsible for providing the following minimal services:
- Surveillance, investigation, control and prevention of communicable diseases
- Other disease and injury prevention
- Health promotion
- Human health hazard control
- Generalized public health nursing services including community health assessment
- Adequate, appropriate and safe food and nutrition
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Chronic disease prevention and management
- Communicable disease prevention and control
- Environmental and occupational health
- Healthy growth and development
- Injury and violence
- Mental health
- Oral health
- Physical activity
- Reproductive and sexual health
- Tobacco use and exposure
|2011-2015 Community Health Improvement Process (pdf)|
|Community Health Assessment (CHA) Data|
|Telephone surveys conducted for the purpose of assessment of the health status of Washington County residents and their perceptions of the community's priority issues.|
|Summarized Community Health Data and Presentations|
|Complete Community Health Survey Reports|
|Community Health & Emergency Preparedness Survey Reports|