PATERNITY IN ANOTHER STATE If paternity was established in another state, paternity should not be established in Wisconsin. You should provide the Child Support Agency with a copy of the judgment from the other state and a copy of the child’s birth certificate. If you are not sure if paternity was established in the other state, we will contact the other state and request that they check their records to see if paternity has been established there. If paternity was not established in the other state, the Paternity Specialist will decide, based on information you provide, whether we are able to start a Wisconsin case or if we need to start an Interstate case.