Marriage Licenses

(If your marriage date is more than 45 days from today, return to this website 30 days before your wedding to verify that the requirements have not changed.)

Wisconsin residents must apply in the county in which one or both have resided for at least 30 days prior to application. If both parties are residents of another state, application is made in the county where the ceremony will take place.

If you are a Washington County resident or you are an out-of-state resident getting married in Washington County, you will apply at:

Washington County Courthouse
County Clerk's Office, Room 2027
432 E. Washington Street
West Bend, WI 53095
(262) 335-4301

HOURS: 8:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.  Monday - Friday
Applications are taken on a walk-in basis.

A fee of $110 to be paid at the time of application is required. We do not accept credit or debit cards.  There is an additional $2.00 fee if the license is mailed.  Sorry, no refunds.

Applicants must be at least 18 years-old. If a person is 16 or 17 years of age, a license may be issued with the notarized written consent of the person's parents, guardian or custodian. Consent forms are available in the County Clerk's Office.

Failure to meet the following requirements will delay the issuance of your license.

  • Both parties must present proof if identification.  This is a valid (not expired) driver's license or state photo ID. 
  • Both parties must provide proof of 30 day residency, with at least one residing in Washington County.  If a current address is not shown on the valid driver's license, a utility bill or government mail addressed to that person, with a date at least 30 days old, must be presented. 
  • Applicants, regardless of age, must present a STATE CERTIFIED birth certificate, which has a raised seal and lists the full first and last names of the applicant's parents. If you were born in Wisconsin, you can obtain a state certified birth certificate from any Register of Deeds in the State. Please DO NOT bring any of the following: hospital certificate (usually with footprints), baptismal certificate, birth registration, or a photocopy of a birth certificate, as these items are not acceptable.
  • If either party has been previously married, a signed copy of a judgment of divorce, a certified copy of a divorce decree (if divorced after January of 2016), state annulment paper, or death certificate from the last marriage must be presented.
  • Date and location of ceremony (Name of Wisconsin county as well as the township, village or city where the ceremony will take place.)
  • Name, address, and telephone number of person performing the ceremony.
  • Both applicants must provide Social Security numbers.
  • Couple must apply in person at the same time.
  • All required documents must be in English.  Original documents in a foreign language must be presented along with a notarized translation into English.

There is a six-day waiting period, not including the day of application, after which the license is valid for 30 days, including the day of issuance.   As a general rule, applicants should apply no less than 8 days and no more than 36 days prior to their ceremony. In some instances, a waiver of the waiting period may be granted at the discretion of the County Clerk, due to unusual circumstances.  The cost of the waiver is $25.00 and should be approved before applying for your marriage license.  Waivers will not be granted to anyone under the age of 18. 

Persons divorced must wait six months from the date of judgment before marrying. This applies to both Wisconsin residents out-of-state residents. Marriages of Wisconsin residents outside the state and contrary to Wisconsin laws are null and void in Wisconsin. Marriage in Wisconsin by a person residing in another state is prohibited if such marriage would be void in the home state or jurisdiction of the person.

The license is valid for 30 days including the date of issuance. The marriage must be performed within this period.

Two adults, in addition to the officiant, are required to witness the ceremony and sign the marriage license.


Courthouse Ceremony Options

1. Family Court Commissioner Dolores Bomrad will perform ceremonies at the Courthouse if the Court Calendar permits. Dates are limited.  There is a non-refundable $75 facility use fee for ceremonies performed at the Courthouse.  Courthouse ceremonies must be scheduled in advance through the County Clerk's office at (262) 335-4301.

NEW IN 2018!
2. Courthouse Ceremonies at the Old Courthouse Museum  Click here for details

3. The Assistant Family Court Commissioner and Supplemental Court Commissioners 
perform ceremonies outside of the Courthouse, typically in their offices. Fees vary.  Contact them for details.

     Assistant Family Court Commissioner:

Jeffrey A. Jaeger (262) 251-9440 

     Washington County Supplemental Court Commissioners:

William F. Alderson (262) 707-5272  
Timothy J. Algiers (262) 334-2331
Jerome Becker (414) 303-8873
John A. Best (262) 335-2605
Christine E. Knudtson (262) 334-1787
Julie A. Maule (262) 346-1002
Roland L. Pieper (262) 255-4500


When someone is married out of the United States, it is their responsibility to obtain the proper legal paper(s) from that country. It is important to get certified copies before you leave the foreign country and, if the certificate is in a foreign language, you should obtain notarized translations of the document. This document will be your only proof of marriage. If a marriage is performed in a foreign country, a marriage license cannot be filed in Wisconsin.

If you have any questions, please call (262) 335-4301.